• Asbestos is a naturally occurring fibrous material that was used in more than 3000 building materials from the 1950s to 1990s.
• Microscopic asbestos fibers are 0.01 microns thick (18,000 times thinner than a human hair)
• Breathing in asbestos fibers damages your lungs, causing serious health problems such as: Asbestosis, Lung cancer, Mesothelioma, Pleural thickening.
• According to WorkSafe BC: asbestos exposure is the number one killer of workers in BC and caused 36% of all work-related deaths in 2018.
• The laws break the type of asbestos work into 3 classes: Type I (low risk), Type II (medium risk), Type III (high risk).
• Any asbestos abatement project falls under both federal and provincial regulations and requires specialized training, and equipment so hiring a qualified and certified contractor is crucial when engaging in asbestos removal activities.
If you are planning to renovate/demolish a property built before 1990, as an owner you are responsible to talk to a professional for planning for asbestos testing and proper removal. While there may be an additional cost to identify and remove asbestos, doing so will ensure the health and safety of everyone working on the project. Call our asbestos abatement team at Evolo Restoration today and book an inspection before disturbing the asbestos in your property.